Mustangs play first football game of season

After hurricane Harvey cancelled the opening game of the season for most South Texas teams, fans and players alike were eager to get the season started. For the Ingleside Mustangs, that season opened Friday, Sept, 8, with a 21-7 loss at the hands of the Edna Cowboys.

Head Coach Hunter Hamrick and Edna head coach Jerry Long scheduled the last minute game. The Mustangs most likely will not have a home game this season due to the destruction caused by Harvey, thus Edna approved the Mustangs request to wear their new dark uniforms. Edna played its home game in white uniforms, which are normally worn for away games.

After both teams traded punts on their opening drives, the Ingleside Mustangs put together a 68-yard drive that was capped by a 2-yard Trystan Edison quarterback keeper to give the Mustangs a 7-0 first quarter lead.

The Cowboys got things together on their next drive after the Mustangs were called for illegal procedure on the ensuing kickoff. Edna took over in Mustang territory for the first time in the game and with 9:48 left in the first half, Edna’s Kenny Haynes broke around the left side for a 31-yard touchdown to tie the score.

Ingleside’s next drive stalled and Edna put together a 58-yard drive, scoring from the two-yard line, to give the Cowboys a 14-7 lead which they carried to halftime.

Edna got the ball at their own 48 to begin the second half, eventually scoring to put Edna up 21-7.

he Mustangs started their following drive at their own 18 yard line and took nearly nine minutes off the clock to move the game into the fourth quarter. After converting several third downs, and one fourth and three, the Mustangs had covered 77 yards and found themselves at the Cowboy three-yard line with a little more than eight minutes left in the game. A Mustang pass in the Edna end zone was intercepted and returned it to the Edna 46 yard line.

Edna went to the ground and after converting several first downs, the Cowboys took a knee for the final three offensive plays and let the clock run out to walk away with the 21-7 victory.

After the game, Hamrick, who is in his second year as athletic director, said, “I feel like we maybe r some people because we were able to go toe to toe with Edna.”

He added, “I feel like we executed pretty well and we needed to play a football game. So we got to together Monday. We didn’t know what we were going to get.”

He pointed out the team is a year older and a year stronger, adding, “We just gotta get that first win and get the monkey off our back. The thing is about these guys, they don’t quit. We’re getting a lot better.”

Hamrick also explained, “We got three days of practice in. We got some walk-through days in, which are light. We’re trying to work on the kids’ legs, they’re sore, it’s like they go back into two-a-days again, they’re that sore.”

In addition the team quarterback Tristan Edison has a collarbone injury, and the Mustangs utilized Sophomore Luke Snider.

Hamrick also praised the efforts of those who cooked and provided proceeds, adding, “We have great hospitality and great people, just the fact that they want to help us out.”


Aransas Pass Progress

346 S. Houston

Aransas Pass, TX 78336

P.O. Box 2100

Aransas Pass, TX 78336