City of Ingleside two steps with Harvey

The City of Ingleside did not let Hurricane Harvey untrack the process of planning the 2017-18 fiscal year budget. The Council scheduled meetings every Tuesday in August and September to analyze the proposed budget prepared by City staff. Harvey, however, has now caused a reevaluation of priority expenditures and policy for the next fiscal year.

The scheduled special meeting on Sept. 5, 2017 attracted a larger number of residents, many who came forth in the public speaking session to praise the City for its efforts in serving the community as it entered into the recovery stage of the storm.

Priorities will change as the City Council reconsiders staff budget requests. City Council member Oscar Adame, the designated emergency operations center leader, said many items were needed in the maintenance of city infrastructure during Hurricane Harvey.

City Manager Melissa Byrne Vossmer said, “The City of McAllen workers came to our community and left it cleaner than it was before. FEMA and the State of Texas have collaborated to cover 90 percent of debris removal reimbursement costs, leaving the City to provide 10 percent of in-kind costs.”

The City is looking to establish a Hurricane Harvey Recovery Station at the Humble Center so residents should call City Hall at 361-776-2517 or go to the City website at www.inglesidetx.gov for ongoing updates.

The Council took action on a proposed six-month allowance of using an RV as living quarters while repairing the primary residence. RVs must be registered with the City during the repair process.

Staff reported the City of Corpus Christi made a $25,000 contribution to the City of Ingleside. Staff also indicated the Texas Department of Transportation repaired most traffic signals along Highway 361.

Residents are encouraged to apply for FEMA and Small Business Administration assistance at the mobile office in Bay Vista Plaza in Ingleside. The Federal Government office is open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.

Category: 

Aransas Pass Progress


346 S. Houston

Aransas Pass, TX 78336


P.O. Box 2100

Aransas Pass, TX 78336


361-758-5391